General Information on the SHA Erosion and Sediment Control Yellow Card
The Basic Erosion and Sediment (ESC) Course (Yellow Card) is mandatory for contractor superintendents and ESC managers and is highly recommended for contractor project managers. This class covers the Basic Science of Erosion and Sediment Control, Installing and Maintaining E & S controls, Using the E & S Quality Assurance checklist to monitor compliance, and the Design Modification Process. There is an exam and certification is presented upon successful completion of the class.
Important Notable Information
- Prerequisite: MDE Responsible Personnel Certification
(MDE cards without an RPC # will not be accepted.)
- Successful completion requires an 80% or higher on the exam.
- SHA yellow cards will be mailed to the address used at registration within 7 business days of successful completion of the exam.
- Certification is valid for 3 years.
Online Yellow Card Certification/Recertification
Online Certification – Register Here
Online Recertification – Register Here
1. Each registration allows 2 attempts to pass the exam.
2. You will receive an email with instructions, a link to the tutorials, a link to the exam and a personal login ID number.
3. $85 Non-Members /$70 MTBMA Members / $35 Goverment Employees
MDE Responsible Personnel Certification
Please click here to visit MDE’s website for Erosion and Sediment Control.
If you have any questions about this course please contact Pat Depkin at (410)537-3632.
The Responsible Personnel Certification is required in Maryland by anyone overseeing the installation and maintenance of erosion and sediment control practices. This Certification is available through an on-line training course. There is no fee for the course and it should take 4-5 hours to complete, although does not need to be done in one sitting. At the successful completion of the course, a certification number and card will be generated by the program. You may print out the card and/or save the file electronically.
The online course covers:
- Ecological and resource values of waters of the State
- Effects of erosion and sedimentation
- Process of erosion
- State and Local E&SC laws, ordinances and regulations
- Responsibilities of supervisory and enforcement personnel
- E&S practices: purpose, installation, and maintenance
- This course is taught using the “2011 Maryland Standards and Specifications for Erosion and Sediment Control”.
- No prerequisites
- The MDE Responsible Personnel Certification is a prerequisite to the SHA Erosion and Sediment Control Course (Yellow Card)
- Certification is valid for 3 years and is automatically renewed unless the Administration notifies the certificate holder that additional training is required