SHA Basic Erosion & Sediment Control (Yellow Card)
*PLEASE NOTE: MTBMA and SHA are no longer offering the 2 day combination green card and yellow card course. Going forward, only SHA yellow card classes will be offered. Please visit our online calendar to view and register for upcoming classes. Please scroll to the bottom for information on the online green card course.
General Information on the Erosion and Sediment Control Yellow Card
The Basic Erosion and Sediment (ESC) Course (Yellow Card) is mandatory for contractor superintendents and ESC managers and is highly recommended for contractor project managers. This class covers the Basic Science of Erosion and Sediment Control, Installing and Maintaining E & S controls, Using the E & S Quality Assurance checklist to monitor compliance, and the Design Modification Process. There is an exam and certification is presented upon successful completion of the class.
Important Notable Information
- Successful completion requires an 80% or higher on the exam.
- SHA yellow cards will be mailed to the address used at registration within 7 business days after successful completion of the exam.
- Certification is valid for 3 years.
- Payment is due at the time of registration. No refunds.
$85 Non-Member / $70 Member / $35 Government
If you would like more information on how to become an MTBMA member, click here.
Online Yellow Card Certification/Recertification
Online Certification – Register Here
Online Recertification – Register Here
1. Each registration allows 2 attempts to pass the exam.
2. You will receive an email with instructions, a link to the tutorials, a link to the exam and a personal login ID number.
3. $85 Non-Members /$70 MTBMA Members / $35 Goverment Employees (SHA Employees click here.)
MDE Responsible Personnel Certification
(Formerly known as the MDE Green Card)
Please click here to visit MDE’s website for Erosion and Sediment Control.
If you have any questions about this course please contact Maria Warburton at (410)537-3632.
The Maryland Department of Environment (MDE) “Responsible Personnel Training for Erosion and Sediment Control” program (Green Card Certification) is for those who are involved in state roads projects. The half-day presentation covers:
- Ecological and resource values of waters of the State
- Effects of erosion and sedimentation
- Process of erosion
- State and Local E&SC laws, ordinances and regulations
- Responsibilities of supervisory and enforcement personnel
- E&S practices: purpose, installation, and maintenance
- This course is taught using the “2011 Maryland Standards and Specifications for Erosion and Sediment Control”.
- No prerequisites
- The MDE Green Card Certification is a prerequisite to the Basic Erosion and Sediment Control Course (Yellow Card)
- Certification is valid for 3 years as of 2014
For those seeking the MDE Green Card training who are not involved in State Highway projects, please click here for a list of contacts who provide the presentation/certification.